Please refer to "センター外の方の来館利用" (https://tosho1n.nichibun.ac.jp/?page_id=442)
for the latest information on the use of the library by visitors.
Visitors may use the library, but only for the purpose of
conducting surveys or research. Visitors should contact the library in advance in
accordance with the guidelines below.
You Visit the Library
- After first consulting with the staff of your university library or the closest
municipal library, contact the Nichibunken library in advance to inform us of your
objectives, the sources you plan to use, and the day(s) you wish to visit.
- Depending on the resource, you may need to fill out additional paperwork. Some
resources may not be available. After determining whether or not you can use a
particular resource, we will respond to your request and provide guidance through
- It may take time to respond to your inquiry, so plan accordingly in contacting
- You may need to make separate appointments and fill out documents in order to use
microfilm, rare books, classical literature, and old materials, so make sure that
you have enough time on the day you wish to use the library to make your requests.
- Visitors who wish to visit on Saturday, please also see "Saturday Service."
※ Reference letters should state your objectives, the name of the
material you wish to use, and the day you wish to visit.
※ Primary school, junior high school, high school, preparatory school students are not
allowed to use the library.
After presenting your documents at the circulation desk, please sign
the visitors' log.
This chart shows services and their availability.
||Weekdays & Saturdays
||Sundays & Holidays
|Reading open-Annex sources
||9:00am - 5:00pm
||9:00am - 5:00pm
||9:00am - 4:30pm
||9:00am - 4:30pm
※ Visitors who wish to visit on Saturday, please refer to "Saturday Service."
If you wish to use special materials, take note of the following
- Nichibunken requires applications to be submitted in advance to use its
microfilm collection, and our staff will handle the materials for
visitors.（Visitors do not have free access.）
- Visitors must make appointments in advance on days when the sources they wish to
use and Nichibunken's microreaders are available.
- Other patrons may have made prior appointments for the day on which you wish to
use microfilm sources, so please plan ahead when you make your request.
- You must contact Nichibunken in advance if you wish to use microfilm sources on
a Saturday. You cannot use microfilm sources without contacting the library
>> Saturday Service
- Apply at least one week in advance to use the Prange Collection. For more
details see "Prange
- See "Copying" for information about
printing from a reader printer.
Rare & Old Books
- There may be additional procedures required in order to read or copy some
sources, so you should have your university library or the nearest municipal
library contact Nichibunken in advance.
- In order to view sources designated as rare or semi-rare books, use the "Application Form for
Browsing Rare Books" to apply in writing prior to your visit.
- It may take seven to ten days to obtain permission, so keep that in mind when
you make your request.
- Copy fees
Electronic copies: 10 yen/sheet
Reader printer: 40 yen/sheet
- Applications for copying are accepted until 4pm, and payment is due (the same day,
in cash) by 4:30pm.
- We cannot make change, so please bring coins.
- Depending on the condition and format of the material, applications to copy special
or fragile sources may be rejected, or the staff may discuss alternate options with
- Please refer "Copying" for more
ILL (Interlibrary Loan) Services
Copies of materials in the Nichibunken Library may be obtained and
original books or materials may be borrowed (for reading within your library)
long-distance through your university library or a public library near you.
For details please see Interlibrary Loan Services on this
Copying (Rare &
- Depending on the format and condition of the sources, such as rare books, works of
classical literature, special sources, or materials that are very fragile,
Nichibunken may deny copy requests or suggest alternate options.
- In the case of sources that have already been photographed or digitized, or sources
that are available for viewing on the Nichibunken web site, patrons are asked to use
those photographic or digital reproductions. Please contact Nichibunken for more
- Depending on the condition of the sources you wish to use, Nichibunken will discuss
with you whether or not you can bring a digital camera to the library or use a
camera when viewing sources.
- In general, photography (film/video) of special sources such as rare books and works
of classical literature is contracted out to professional photographers. If you wish
to use that service, please make a request using "Application for Special Copying."
Please contact Library Services Unit for more details.
Saturday Service (User's Guide for Visitors)
- In accord with the guidelines described on this page, please request Saturday access
in advance. (Please note that you cannot enter the facility if you do not
contact Nichibunken in advance.)
- You must contact the library in advance if you wish to use microfilm on Saturdays.
You cannot use microfilm without making advance arrangements.
- You cannot use special materials such as rare books, classical literature, maps, and
photographs. Please request permission to use such materials on weekdays.
- Please refer "Saturday Service" for