The 24th Nichibunken International Symposium
Ostasiatisches Institut/Japanologie, Universität Leipzig
It is said that the Great East Japan earthquake of 11 March, 2011 and the nuclear plant accident consequent upon it constituted an important turning point for rethinking, criticizing the whole history of post-war Japan an assertion that has to be questioned. The hegemony of the so-called “Iron triangle” of politic, bureaucracy and business (especially energy industry) resulted in serious environmental destruction across the Japanese islands and in the expansion of an irredeemable gap between countryside and cities during the period of high economic growth. Postwar Japanese democracy has - albeit ironically - lent powerful support to this hegemony as a co-production of Japan and the United States, which continues to this day its occupation of Japan.
The problematics of the 3.11 phenomena foregrounded postwar Japan's contradictions and conflicts all at once, forcing intellectuals to confront this critical situation. Scholars of Japanese and East Asian studies working in such fields as literature, history, film studies, religious studies and media studies should have been quick to deliberate how best to overcome these problems.
In this symposium to be held at Leipzig University, we will reflect on the various issues surrounding the phenomena of the 3.11 disaster in order to explore the possibilities for academic collaboration from transnational perspectives. Note that this symposium is convened as one of a series of events to mark the 30th anniversary of the founding of the International Research Center for Japanese Studies.
- Moderator: Patricia Fister, International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- Discussants: Markus Rüttermann, International Research Center for Japanese Studies; Dorothea Mladenova, Leipzig University
- Moderator: Tsuboi Hideto, International Research Center for Japanese Studies
- Discussant: Martin Roth, Leipzig University
- Moderator: Mitsuyo Wada-Marciano, Carleton University
Talk with the Film Director: Funahashi Atsushi
- Moderator: Steffi Richter, Leipzig University
- Discussant: Raji C. Steineck, University of Zurich
- Moderator: Isomae Jun'ichi
- Discussant: Steffi Richter, Leipzig University